Monday, May 12, 2008

Dirty, Homeless, and Ugly

So, I saw a homeless man with a cardboard sign that read, "I'm Dirty, Homeless, and Ugly. Anything helps." It's one of those signs that makes me wince a bit, because it is so untrue to how God sees this man, and because it is the true picture of how the man sees himself. And it is probably how many of the people who drive by him see him as well.

Another reason this sign is so problematic for me is that it seems somewhat reflective of how I have seen myself recently. Not that I am dirty, or homeless (but maybe ugly...your call). But I am in the process of understanding the phrase, "Anything helps."

Recently my support balance dropped significantly, and I have had to ask supporters to increase their giving. It's not the easiest thing in the world, and is quite humbling if the truth be told. But I know that God is working through that process in me to bring me to a place of greater reliance in Him. And by raising support, I know that I am offering my supporters (through prayer and financial giving) to partner with God in the ministry of Scum of the Earth Church.

Additionally, I've had to learn to ask for more help in other areas of my life. As I have been working through some of my own relational stuff, I have begun to realize how hard it is for me in most areas of life to ask for help. I am quick to offer help to someone else, to listen to another person's problems, and to walk in empathy with a friend, but I am somewhat incapable of asking for assistance myself. Because in many ways, I think that by asking for help, receiving a relational hand-out, means that I am Dirty, Homeless, and Ugly.

But in reality, that is not how God sees it. God has placed us all in the community of the Church to allow us to bear one another's burdens. And being in a place of need puts us firmly at the foot of the Cross. And it is there that we, oftentimes through the care of others, encounter the Gospel that is Good News to the poor, freedom for the prisoners, recovery of sight to the blind, and release for the oppressed.

May I trust enough in those who God has provided to care for me that my own independence is lost in the cause of interdepence. Anything helps!

No comments: