Friday, September 18, 2009

Last Newsletter

Dear friend,

Well, this is a letter that is incredibly difficult for me to write, as the contents might be a bit shocking to you. As of October 1st, I will no longer be employed by Scum of the Earth Church.

Over the 5+ years of working at Scum, I have found myself continuously stretched and challenged in both good and difficult ways. It has been the most rewarding experience of my life, and God has blessed me with the opportunity to see people’s lives changed. But it has also been a struggle, as I have found myself constantly in a state of flux and frustration.

Recently, I have been sensing that God is calling me to a season of rest in my life. As difficult as it has been to be obedient to this call, I trust that He is leading me to a good place, and I look forward to the greener pastures that He is inviting me to lay down in.

Last week, I was offered a job doing sales at an internet company called Service Magic. While I do not feel most at home in a cubicle, I am honestly looking forward to a regular schedule and a regular paycheck. I am very excited about having some time to reflect on what God has taught me over these past 5 years of my life, and to, like the Prophets invited the Israelites, remember what God has done.

My hope in this season is that God will refuel me, and that this might be a time for reigniting a passion in me for vocational ministry, as well as give me direction for what might lie ahead. I look with great anticipation to where He might lead me.

Now, you may be asking yourself if there is some big piece of drama surrounding this decision…some moral failure or conflict. I want to assure you that this is not the case, but rather that it is an invitation to fall more in love with Jesus, without the sense of obligation of ministry.

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for all that you have done by partnering with me in ministry over the past 5+ years. It has been a blessing to me to have such wonderful people in my life, and to know that you have supported me in ministry through finances and prayers is an honor that I cannot say thank you enough for.

Logistically, if you choose to still give to Scum financially, please contact me and I will talk through some of the options for giving, whether it be to an individual staff member or to the general fund.

Also, if you would like to help me in this time of transition, I can collect up to 2 months ‘severance’ from the church based upon money that is in my account by the end of September. It is important that all money be sent before October 1 to make it into my account. You can do this by sending in a check to Scum at PO Box 101808 Denver, CO 80223, or by giving online at www.scumoftheearth.net

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to email me at jrcook1@gmail.com or call me at 720-244-4020. I will be unavailable for about 2 weeks starting Monday the 21st, as I will be on a road trip, but I look forward to talking to you when I get back.

Thank you for all that you are!
Blessings,
Josh Cook
P.S. If you are writing a check, be sure to make it out to Scum of the Earth Church and put 10450-09 in the memo line

No comments: