Friday, April 25, 2008

Compassion

"Jesus in his solidarity with the marginalized ones is moved to compassion. Compassion constitutes a radical form of criticism, for it announces that the hurt is to be taken seriously, that the hurt is not to be accepted as normal and natural but is an abnormal and unacceptable condition for humanness."
--Walter Brueggerman

Oh, that we could live in a world defined by compassion. The beauty that comes when we seek the well-being of others before ourselves. Paul reminds us in Philippians that we are to consider others more than we consider ourselves. And as we do so, we look more like Christ.

May this day be one where we long for the redemption of our neighbors AND our enemies. May we commune with Christ in His compassion for them and for us.

1 comment:

JJ Welch said...

Compassion, I have found, is almost impossible without Christ in my life. In an of myself, I behave selfishly, desiring compassion but unwilling to give it. As compassion bubbles up in me and shows itself in my actions, I know that the source of that is Christ living in me.

It seems the same them comes up over and over again in scripture, if you desire or need something you must first give it away in order to receive it.